March 28, 2021
Weekly revue: 2021 weeks #10-12 (March 6 to 26)
With music by: dahlia, the fascinations, Yuri Kirihara with Tetsuro Yafune Trio, Le Grand Escroc, Shunosuke Ishikawa, Manaka, fox capture plan, Izumi Ookawara, Sunaga t Experience, Takeshi Nakatsuka, and Aya Nakano y Central .
Live music: - Maki Nomiya Online Recital ~Birthday Special~
Set list: I / Nata di marzo / Twiggy Twiggy (Original ver.) / Cahier de la mode / Weekend / 5ji kara 7ji made no Maki (Kaji Hideki) / La Boom (My Boom Is Me) (Kaji Hideki) / The night is still young / Magic Carpet Ride
Encore (@ fan club after party): Message Song
Movie: - Sun Ra's "Space Is The Place"
Music release news: Ozawa Kenji, Saoriiiii, Illreme, Kamisuzuki Kyōdai (P.O.P) & YMCK, "Lake Of Illusions Vol.3", "a young person's guide to blue-very", Lupin The Third Jam Crew, Frun Frin Friends, Natsu Summer, Wataru Sato, Lullatone, Shoko Suzuki, World Standard, Ryusenkei / hitomitoi, valknee, "Readymade mirai no ongaku Series - CD Book hen 03 'watakushi no Saint-Germain-des-Prés'", "Kyohei Tsutsumi Song Book", Haruko Tajima, Yasushi Ide feat. Afrika Bambaata, hitomitoi
This week's video:
Childish Tones feat. Beni Usakura w/ Beat Ryo (The Bohemians) "Childish Tones no Karakuri Darake no Tenderness" live @ Live Haus
Kamisuzuki Kyōdai (P.O.P) & YMCK "oshiete Hokusai!"
Haruko Tajima "Eccentric Seinen Boy"
Frun Frin Friends "Vanilla"
Frun Frin Friends "Strawberry"
March 8, 2021
Weekly revue: 2021 week #9 (February 27 to March 5)
Exhibition: Exposition de Serge Gainsbourg "repetto blanc" @ Shiroi tobira
Music release news: Yuri Kirihara with Tetsuro Yafune Trio, Rikako Aida, "ALFA Music Live - ALFA 50th Anniversary Edition", Tentenko, HallKariMaako, Seiko Ito is the poet, Mark Diamond (Maika Loubté remix), DYGL, Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra
This week's videos:
Yuri Kirihara with Tetsuro Yafune "watashi no adana"
March 1, 2021
Weekly revue: 2021 weeks #6-8 (February 6 to 26)
With music by: Kenmochi Hidefumi, Omodaka, xiangyu, Elektel, DJ Codomo, Dustin Wong & Takako Minekawa, XTAL, Tentenko, HNC, Coastlines, Ryoma Maeda, NUBACK .
- HITOTZUKI @ Snow Contemporary
- Kotao Tomozawa "caché" @ Hankyu Men's
- Aki Tsukamoto @ Asagaya Void
- Yoshioka Rina @ Spice Hut
Music events online: Some of the online events that I watched.
- Emiri Kanou Birthday Party @ Shibuya WWW
- Maika Loubté - Solo Show Streaming "Misty Momento ML" @ WALL&WALL
- Haruo Chikada @ S/U/P/E/R DOMMUNE
Music release news: Ryuji Sawa, Toki Asako, Nakatsuka Takeshi & videobrother, Lupin The Third Jam Crew, Childish Tones, Otagiri, Live Empower Children, 80KIDZ, Blank Music, The Image, Sputrip, Moon Phase, Sound's Deli, maco marets, Fritz von Runte, Towa Tei
This week's videos:
Childish Tones "Country Girl"
The Image "Starlight"
February 6, 2021
Weekly revue: 2021 week #5 (January 30 to February 5)
Music events online: Here are few events that I watched.
Music release news: Keiichi Suzuki, CMJK, Towa Tei, Hosono Haruomi, Gallantique Kazue, The Highmarts, "Readymade mirai no ongaku Series - CD Book hen 02 'neko mo shakushi mo Twist'"
This week's video: xiangyu "Immersive Online Live"
(First 30 minutes are a mix by Kenmochi Hidefumi, followed by a special live performance by xiangyu)
January 31, 2021
Weekly revue: 2021 weeks #2-4 (January 9 to 29)
With music by: Sunny Kubota & Old Lucky Boys, Wack Wack Rhythm Band, Magic, Drums & Love, Sloppy Joe, Childish Tones feat. Beni Usakura, MANON, The Shaolin Brothers, Salome no Kuchibiru, The Highmarts, Learners, Bambino, La veuve moustachue, Michiru Hoshino, Natsu Amano, The Orangers .
Music events online: Here are few events that I watched.
- Watts Towers (Yuichi Kishino & friends) (Archived. Viewers are asked to PayPal a price they decide.)
- "Wonder Wheel 3DCG Live & Talk" w/ CMJK, Ellie, a子, MAXX NAKAYOSHI, ukka
- A bit of Online Festival YOIMACHI w/ Zettai Wasureruna, SAKA-SAMA, CUTIEPAI, HIKASHU (WOT- DKNY sports bra in size M)
- DISCOMPO with Izumi Mari "1st Live Session" (Archived)
- "Capsule Disco vol.5" w/ DJ Yuichi Kishino (Archived)
- DJ Comoesta Yaegashi "Fireplace with music"
Music release news: NUBACK, Ino hidefumi, Nakatsuka Takeshi & videobrother, "Readymade mirai no ongaku Series - CD Book hen 01 'yoasobi ni tsukarete shimatta'", Miho Hatori, for instance, dodo & tofubeats, Aya Nakano y Central, Maika Loubté, Jintana & Emeralds, Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, keme
This week's videos:
CHILDISH TONES feat Beni Usakura "New Year TOY ROCK 'N' ROLL SHOW"
Miho Hatori "Tokyo Story"
Kyary Pamyu Pamyu "Gum Gum Girl"
Sputrip "Breeze in the Sun"
January 10, 2021
Weekly revue: 2021 week #1 (January 1 to 8)
Happy New Year 2021!
Not much to report so far, but I was able to catch up with some updates I still had to do about 2020. 2021 looks so far like it will be an exciting year!
Music release news: Cherryboy Function, Ellie, Various Artists "REWIRE", April Set, Neighbors Complain, HALLCA, Nakagawa Toshio, Ayane Yamazaki, Miho Hitori
This week's videos:
Ellie "maji muri NOWAY"
Avec Avec "REWIRE (feat. Wotoha)"
December 31, 2020
Revue: 2020 weeks #41-52 (October 10 to end of 2020)
Time went by so fast recently that I had kind of forgotten to update my blog..! I'll try to get better again in 2021 and update regularly like before, maybe every other week? In December my sites had an outage of over 2 days because of my hosting service really messing things up, which didn't help me in getting things done. Luckily everything is back working for now! Since then I've been trying to catch up with my regular updates.
Anyway, the last three months (since my last update) were rather eventful, so below are my latest three radio shows and also the happy news of a song of which I wrote the lyrics that got released on 7" in December! I also wrote a word about a few shows. There's also some much more exciting stuff coming up for me music-wise, so stay tuned.
Meanwhile, I wish you a great start to 2021!
Radio: My radio show started in December 2019, and during 2020 I played some 150 songs in 11 episodes. All of them are archived at Mixcloud, and a list of each shows' playlists can be found at Tokyo's Coolest Sound. While it's quite a bit of work, I really appreciate this opportunity to introduce music that I love in this form.
With music by: Three Berry Icecream, Michiru Hoshino, Maika Loubté, dip in the pool, dahlia, Kaede, Lullatone, World Standard, mmm with Emerson Kitamura, Vacation Three, Blue Peppers, Naka Tomizawa, sugar me, Monari Wakita.
With music by: Takeshi Nakatsuka, ○△□ (Marusankakushikaku), HALLCA, conte, Mukaju Dan, Fujin Club, Genius, Neil and Iraiza, Akane Hosaka, Yucca, nimit & co., Francis, Ryomei Shirai.
With music by: Negicco, hitomitoi, Kaseki Cider, Monari Wakita, The Caraway, Three Berry Icecream, Hideki Kaji, Her Serves & Receive, Avec Avec, Bakubaku Dokin, MIKKO, P.O.P, The Pen Friend Club, Toshiyuki Yasuda & Tarō Sukegawa & The Firefly Clan & Satoru Wono & Seigen Tokuzawa.
Song release: I had the great pleasure to do the translation of the lyrics of a song, which got released on 7" (vinyl)! The song is "Soleil's Kanon", a song from band SOLEIL's album "Lollipop Sixteen", and I translated it from Japanese to... French! This ended up sung by MANON, and retitled "Le Canon de Manon", with music performed by Sally Kubota Group part of a project for bassist Sally Kubota's 60th anniversary. The song was also completely rearranged into a dub style and sounds very cool. Find all details here. The song hasn't been released digitally so far, but those who want the vinyl can get it via CDJapan (or other retailers). The intro can be heard here on YouTube. Few things can make me happier than having my name on a 7", and even on the center label!
As if this wasn't enough, the A-side features Maki Nomiya who sings a self-cover "Twiggy Twiggy", which is awesome! You can hear a bit of it here. This song definitely makes the single worth it for any Maki or P5 fan! Furthermore, guess what, I had the incredible chance to be at the studio for the recording of both songs! Yes!!! :)
Music events: While still mostly online, I've been continuing to enjoy live music regularly! Here are a few shows that stood out for me during these 10 weeks.
- hitomitoi live at Billboard Live Tokyo. One of my favorite singers, whose shows I've been seeing pretty much every year at this venue, this time online via Streaming+. This show is being re-streamed until January 4 at the bargain price of ¥1500 (tickets).
Set list: Dive / Harbor Light / Dolphin / Let it Out / Flash of Light / Lonely Woman / Platinum / Summer Breeze '86 / natsu kōsen, kira. / koi wa omoi no mama
Encore: 3gosen (Ryusenkei cover) / kanashii kurai Diamond
- Hoshino Michiru online show from Vivid Sound Studio. This was Michiru's last show before going on hiatus. She explained the situation and that she will be looking forward to making music again after getting some rest. The show was in two parts, a karaoke-style set, and then a trio set with cello and percussions.
Set list: Unstable Girl / kagami no naka no watashi / nagareboshi Rendez-vous / gyakko / Rock'n'Roll Apple Pie / Misty Night, Misty Morning / tsuki ga kirei desune / issho ni tabi suru kimi e
- Izumi "Mimi" Kobayashi live at Blues Alley Japan. This year I had the opportunity to translate a recent interview of this famous keyboardist (from Japanese to English). Not being used to translate long articles it was a bit of a challenge but I'm very happy of this accomplishment. Mimi resides in London, but she was in Tokyo for a while this year and she managed to put together an awesome show featuring musicians she used to play with 40 years ago! The show also featured young keyboardist Inoue Kaoru (Blue Peppers) and on chorus Natsu Summer (Mimi appeared on her latest album "Hayama Nights"). The show was excellent, and although I had already become a fan while translating her interview, I was amazed of her sound and great presence on stage.
- Like the way online shows make it possible for people worldwide to see shows from Japan (as I've been trying to promote with my live information section at Tokyo's Coolest Sound), the inverse works great too! I was able to see a show in real-time by Kissed By An Animal, a band in which my friend Tsugumi plays bass. It was my first time seeing them live and it was a lot of fun! Hopefully someday they'll make their way to play in Japan.
- Takanaka Masayoshi (ex-Sadistic Mika Band) live at Nakano Sunplaza. When translating Mimi's interview, I learned that she used to play in fusion guitarist Takanaka's band in the late-70's and early-80's. That made me re-dig my Takanaka vinyl collection (over a dozen of albums), on many of which Mimi played, including the first one I had bought and my favorite: "Rainbow Goblins"! I had also been watching the 1982 Budokan show which was amazing. Then, I heard that Takanaka would be playing nearby and that Mimi would even be a guest in the show, and I thought this was finally the time for me to see him live. It was a great show way above my expectations, a kind of retrospective of his best songs, and because it was a bit before Christmas he would sometimes wittily add some Christmas riffs. One thing I like of Takanaka is that there's no rhythm guitar in his band, he plays all guitars throughout the entire show, and his skills are amazing. He's a great entertainer and performer who I'll be looking forward to seeing again someday. His tour band also featured Inoue Kaoru (Blue Peppers). Mimi joined on stage for the song "Palm Street", and to talk a little about what she had been up to for all those years.
- dip in the pool presents "Departures Gate01" w/ Color Filter, Barbican Estate, Miyako Kōda, DJ Tatsuji Kimura, live at MoonRomantic. Color Filter is a unit I had just heard rumours of because of a friend who used to play in it in the late 90's, but this year the project restarted and this was their first show! Excellent! There was also a solo set by dip in the pool's Miyako Kōda, who sang some mantra and also a cover of Ōnuki Taeko's "Carnival". The band Barbican Estate, which uses sitar for some songs, was also a nice surprise and reminded me of Eric's Trip.
- On December 28 were my official last shows of the year, and two of them! Again, thanks to this online streaming age I was able to watch two shows held at the exact same time (because they were also archived for a few days, ha!). The first of the two was The Scooters! They're one of the last bands I had seen live for real, in late February. This show's ticket came by buying goods online, either a hoodie, a T-shirt or a postcard. I got a T-shirt which I wore for the show. :)
This time The Scooters were joined by new guitarist Manji-kun (of High-Style), and also support saxophonist Natsuki Nanae (in place of Lucy who was absent). The show was excellent, with even a few new songs, and closing with "Auld Lang Syne". Also the whole was filmed in black & white, with leader Shindō Mitsuo in charge of camera switching. I wish I could see it once more someday!
- The other show on the same day was of Kaji Hideki, with for support band the two of Neil & Iraiza (Horie Hirohisa and Matsuda "Chabe" Gakuji) and flutist Nari (of Scafull King), plus the show was to have for special guest Nomiya Maki! Kaji Hideki wore his blue suit as seen on the jacket of latest album "Goth Romance". With that backband, the show had a special feel of old friends hanging out together, and all those Pizzicato Five covers with Maki (three of them!) sounded awesome when played by those Shibuya-kei mates. Neil & Iraiza also played one of their songs for encore.
Set list: French Cinema! / Winter's Sky / Amai Koibito / Angelic Symphony / Separate Ways / Tokyo wa yoru no 7ji (Pizzicato Five cover) (w/ Maki) / Message Song (Pizzicato Five cover) (w/ Maki) / Sunday Baby (w/ Maki) / Siesta / Tu-Tu Boom Boom
Encore: Soft Rock (Neil & Iraiza) / Baby Baby, Me Me Me (Partial) / I Hear a Symphony (Pizzicato Five cover) (w/ Maki) / Footballing Weekenders (w/ Kaseki Cider)
Music release news: waiai, Nao☆, Ryusenkei / hitomitoi, Tetsuro Yafune, Cassette Store Day 2020 (Childish Tones feat. Beni Usakura, Learners), Tokyo Beethoven feat. Chiharu Mutō, Natsu Summer, Crazy Ken Band, RSD Drops Day 3 (Elekibass, bjons, SAKA-SAMA, marble≠marble), World Standard, Maika Loubté, Childish Tones feat. Beni Usakura, Naive Super, Record Day 2020, "Join The Pac - Pac-Man 40th Anniversary Album -", fox capture plan, Aina Hirose, Salome no Kuchibiru, "City Music Tokyo invitation", Yasushi Ide, Fujin Club, ZEUS a.k.a. Kensuke Okuda, XTAL, Negicco, Kaede, MANON, "Magical Connection 2020", Emiri Kanou, Madame Croissant, my♪Rabbits, Iris Bevy, Sputrip, Sally Kubota Group, Urbangarde, 80KIDZ, Zoomgals, MIKKO, Cornelius, Ryusenkei, Her Serves & Receive, Hoshikuzu Scat, SOLEIL, Agata Morio, The Shaolin Brothers, Haruko Tajima, Skirt, SAKA-SAMA, Final Spank Happy, Miho Hatori, Sokabe Keiichi
hitomitoi / Ryusenkei "kanashii kurai Diamond"
Haruko Tajima "Galnia feat. Marukido, valknee"
FINAL SPANK HAPPY "SMOOTH ESCALATOR"
Miho Hatori "Formula X"
October 10, 2020
Weekly revue: 2020 week #40 (October 3 to 9)
Music events online:
Welcome back Emiri! Emiri performed with a full band (with drummer Manaka!) and she sang all songs from album "GREENPOP" plus latest release "Asaninare", and a song she wrote for Niiyama Hina (Usagi No Mimic). She also announced that "Asaninare" will be released on 7" on November 25. The show is viewable until October 13 (JST) for ¥2000 (details).
Emiri Kanou set list: 1988 / Friday Night / Koiseyo Otome / renai Claimer / futari no Philosophy / Just A Feeling / Darlin' (Niiyama Hina cover) / Moonlight / Asaninare / Heartbreak / Next Town
Music release news: Hiroshi Fujiwara, sugar me, Zoomgals, Bronze
This week's videos:
sugar me "Flower in Anger"
Hiroshi Fujiwara "Territory"
Zoomgals "Status Ailment Just Alive"
"Stand Strong feat. Libro, Pocyomkin, Bose & Chozen Lee"
October 4, 2020
Weekly revue: 2020 week #39 (September 26 to October 2)
Music events online:
- Kai (last show)
I was saddened when Kai announced stopping her activity as an idol, after becoming a fan last year with her great EPs "Moonlight Tokyo" and "Paper Diamond" which had songs produced by Yoshida Tetsuto and Suzuki Keiichi (among others), and even a cover of Nomiya Maki's debut single "onna tomodachi". In this last show she played all of her songs, including the B-side of her last 7". That was a very good show and I was glad to see her singing one last time!
(By the way, I played Kai's songs twice on my radio show: vol.2 and vol.9.)
Kai set list: Paper Diamond / Pollyanna / Pink Shadow / kanashii shirase / Anacronópete / fushigi - shojo / Gas nuki kinenbi / onna tomodachi / himitsu no tobira / yusei yori ai o komete / Moonlight - Tokyo
Music release news: HALLCA & yuca, Philosphy no Dance, hitomitoi, STAMP, "Stand Strong feat. Libro, Pocyomkin, Bose & Chozen Lee", plantar & Maika Loubté
This week's video: plantar & Maika Loubté "Moon Flower"
The Pen Friend Club "ippon no ongaku"
September 27, 2020
Weekly revue: 2020 weeks #36-38 (September 5 to 25)
Music events online:
- "Virtual Hostel Sound Vol.5": Kent Valley / YeYe & more
- Sunny Kubota & Old Lucky Boys (Archive)
- "Internet Guzen Club vol.2" w/ O'CHAWANZ, 7 Segment, Zettai Wasureruna
- Tokyo Dance Music Week Day 5: "Major Force to sono jidai"
- Tokyo Dance Music Week: Music Friday "Jazz from Ginza" w/ Sunaga Tatsuo
- The Pen Friend Club (via Twitcasting)
The Pen Friend Club set list (partial): Darlin' / Do I Love You / Flying Days / New York's A Lonely Town / Please Let Me Wonder / Soda-sui no sora / ippon no ongaku / Rainy Day In August / Don't Run Away / Don't Take Your Time / Love Will Keep Us Together / Good Lovin' / Fun Fun Fun
Encore: Wichita Lineman
- Busujima Orochi / Suzuki Kokone
- "YAVIBE": DJ Fukutake
- Tokyo Dance Music Week 2020 - #MDL Renewable energy of music in Tokyo Tower -
- "DJ Plays KRAFTWERK ONLY" w/ Yoshinori Sunahara / Kazunao Nagata / Moodman
- Kaede (Negicco) free acoustic live
- shima fes SETOUCHI 2020 (Sokabe Keiichi, Kaji Hideki, SAWAGI last live) (Archive)
- "Video Game Music Disc Guide 2: Diggin' Beyond The Discs" w/ hally / DJ Fukutake (Archive)
- Monari Wakita 4th anniversary live (via Streaming+)
Monari Wakita set list: In the City / Love Timeline / Est! Est!! Est!!! / Thinkin' About You / Peppermint Rainbow / Friend In Need / Espadrille de tsukamaete / Plastic Love (Takeuchi Mariya cover) / 3MOTION / Deflated Balloons (fūsen) (Toshiya
Encore: passing by
Maki Nomiya set list: Sweet Soul Revue / bokura ga tabi ni deru riyū (Ozawa Kenji) / Nata di marzo / Mon Amour Tokyo (Intro) / Message Song / Triste / On the sunny side of the street / Such a Beautiful GIrl Like You / Baby Portable Rock / The night is still young (Tokyo wa yoru no 7ji)
Radio: The 9th episode of my radio show was aired on September 23 on La Face B (Montréal-based Internet radio)! This time my selection went towards new wave-y sounds. Lots of fun and surprising songs! Enjoy!
With music by: Masakosan, Novko Hasebe, (M)otocompo, CTO LAB., Chiroline ver.2, Bakubaku Dokin, Mira Parameter, Frenesi, Emiri Kanou, Kai, FINAL SPANK HAPPY, nakayoshi group, Isoda Osamu, Francis avec HARUKO .
Music release news: ikkubaru, Nickey, Kaede, ROVO, Perfume, Tokyo Beethoven, SAKA-SAMA, Haruko Tajima, ZEUS a.k.a. Kensuke Okuda, VIDEOTAPEMUSIC, MANON, the oto factory, Emiri Kanou, RSD Drops Day 2 (PIZZICATO ONE, Toki Asako, Avec Avec)
This week's video:
Kindai Hasami Dan (aka Modern Choki Chokies) live performance (2 songs: "Tom no iru kokage" & "jitensha ni notte")
Denki Groove "Set you Free"
Haruko Tajima "Still Summer" (Download)
valknee "Super Kawaii Oshi"
Continue reading in the September 2020 Archives.
Next entry: "Weekly revue: 2020 weeks #34-35 (August 22 to September 4)" (September 5, 2020 at 18:29)
2021: March February January
2020: December October September August July June May April March February January
2019: December November October September August July June May April March February January
2018: December November October September August July June May April March February January
2017: December November October September August July June May April March February NWOT Disney Parks Mickey Panties
2016: December November October September August July June May April March February January
2015: December November October September August July June May April March February January
2014: December November October September August July June May April March February January
2013: Poldwater Creek Buttondown November October September August July June May April March February January
2012: December November October September August July June May April March February
2011: November October May April March
2010: August May April March February January
2009: December November October September August July June May April March February January
2008: December November October September August July June May April March February January
2007: December November October September August July June May April March February January
2006: December November October September August July June May April March February January
2005: December November October September August July June May April March February January
2004: December November October September August July June May April March February 3 for Disney pajama gown
2003: December November October September August July